Sunday 31 August 2014

LUZIRA LIFE

Habakkuk on the case.
This blog is going to be very different to how Habakkuk and I anticipated it would be just a few hours ago (we write these blogs together usually).  I originally planned to give a summary of everything that I had been up to since Friday night, including trips to Kampala to get new tyres fitted to the Landcruiser (it needs a name - any suggestions?) and to the Cathedral for morning worship this morning.  It is quite interesting stuff I suppose, but the trouble was that I hadn't taken the camera and hence had no photos to illustrate it. To balance that out I decided to take the camera for a walk around our local area this afternoon and see if I could find a couple of lively snaps of Luzira to brighten up what would otherwise be quite a dull page of text.  Well, my experience of just meeting and chatting to the local people quite frankly blew me away and I have decided to simply share my experience with you.  Bear in mind that all of these photos were taken within 500m of where I live - these are my neighbours, and wonderful neighbours they are too.

I am living in a district of greater Kampala called Luzira.  It is really a small community on the road from Port Bell to Kampala and until a few years ago was known only for the High Security prison here.  However, recently, because of land shortages and despite it being close to the lake (and hence prone to mosquitoes) it has started to become developed.  Unlike a lot of other cities, Kampala doesn't seem to have 'quarters' - the poor quarter, the merchants quarter, the rich quarter, etc (even Kololo, the 'posh' ex-pat area, has slum housing cheek to jowl with multi-million dollar homes). This means that we have the bizarre and uncomfortable (if you have a social conscience) situation whereby when you open the big steel doors to the compound in which my fairly luxurious apartment block is, you look straight out on families living in tin sheds and cooking over open fires.  The market area is the same, big houses, right next to subsistence farmers.  Yet, when I walked around and chatted to these people and asked if I could take their photos they were unbelievably friendly and cheerful.  I was humbled.  So here is a bit of 'photo journalism' instead of my planned recount of my weekend.  Click on any photo to enlarge it if it interests you:



Rafael our compound 'security' man and general factotum.  

He will take on almost any task for a consideration!
The Landcruiser fitted out with its new tyres.  

It is a tough beast that should go just about anywhere.

For those without the luxury of a vehicle of their own these 'taxis' 
are the standard way of getting about.  They carry up to 14 people 
- admittedly they are a little cramped!


The other option is a boda boda - demonstrated

 here by Louise one of our Y2 teachers. It is extraordinary 
what the drivers can carry.  The best so far is a sick boda 
on the back of another boda!


A view showing our compound and pool, with the local accommodation
 across the road.  Whilst I swim, they live in a single tin shack  - and yes, 
that does make me very uncomfortable.

The view through our steel security gate across the
 road to our neighbours' apartments.
These sheds are home to families of 5 or 6 people sometimes.
Yet everyone of them smiles at me when I pass them each day,
and today several gave me their blessings
 

 Our text today in church was Mark 8:36.  
I might be richer than these people in worldly goods,
but I think many of them are far richer than me in spirit.





This woman told me proudly that she works for the water authority
in the new building at the end of the road.  When I told her I was a teacher
she said I should teach her son as he is very bright.

This woman and her husband (below) keep chickens and
goats and grow maize and beans just across from where I live.

He was fixing the chicken coop and said I must come back
and see it when it was finished.  Perhaps Kathy could get some tips!

Downtown Luzira - where it all happens.
One of the varied populace, just out for a stroll.


My local.  I haven't been in for a pint yet
- I'm afraid that I might not meet the Olympian standard.

I put this one in for Sally - I thought Mac should know
that there is competition from Andy here in Uganda!

So, not the news blog I had planned, but there is plenty of time for that later.  Ronnie is back in UK this week for a DA's conference and I meet my new class on Wednesday.  Prayer required for me - and them!


1 comment:

  1. I have really enjoyed reading this photo journalisitc blog. It give a real sense of where you now live, quite an area of contrasts.
    I must say, I have used all sorts for chicken houses before but using advertising signs does give me some more scope, brilliant idea! You'll have to update next time with the finished house.

    ReplyDelete