Friday 1 August 2014

STEADY PROGRESS

Not much to report this week to be honest as we have just been getting on with the niff-naff and trivia of getting everything together so we can have a few days camping in Sussex.  However, we do need to be ready for Africa before we go as we will only have a few days left when we get back prior to flying out on the 17th.  The biggest pain has been trying to order things online, such as US dollars and rugged cameras (there is always room for an additional gadget) when your bank account is registered somewhere between Stafford and Shrivenham!  Oh yes, and BT are still messing about with reconnecting you to the outside world (they were here this morning but have left without actually making anything work, although they have promised success before the day is out - hmm, we will see).

Those of you who have been fellow athletes in the past will be pleased to know that I have been getting out and running again at last - hence the rather scary photo of me at the start of the blog this time.  The other good news is that Chad has received his first full report from Madeleine Faulder who has given him all 1s for effort - we are very proud of the young chap. This despite the fact that he has apparently been giving displays of mouse juggling and rodent swallowing in front of the kitchen window.  Some things will never change I guess.


My unaccompanied baggage is now boxed up and will be collected on the Monday before we fly, hopefully, to arrive in Entebbe a couple of days after I do.  It has been very difficult to decide what to pack and what to leave behind, especially when it is so expensive to send items out. As I have agreed to run another after school film club in Kamapala I have had to pack up all of my video kit, which is of course pretty heavy. Books and printed material is the other issue as that really does weigh a lot. In the end I suspect that I will have packed a lot of things that I will never use, and will very quickly realise that I have left behind some things that would have been very useful.  Ah well, that is the nature of hindsight! 

Right, since the test match came to a satisfactory conclusion  yesterday, the main distraction is now the Commonwealth Games so it is back to watching one of the few sporting arenas in which GB can do well - a cunning idea holding a competition where we don't allow those tricky Americans, Chinese and Europeans to take part don't you think!

3 comments:

  1. Great progress with the beard! Keep the updates coming. I am glad Chad is well. I can see you adopting a feline friend out in Kampala 'poor thing just wanted a little bit of tuna'! Also good that you are back to running. Happy camping, I hope the sun shines for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that - I have been looking at the USPCA web site and they often have cats looking for homes!

      Delete
  2. Yep - beard looking even better in this pic! Just to update you - I have had a lot of correspondence with Moses. It appears he will be starting on Sept 10th after all which is good news. I have been trying to arrange accommodation on campus for him so keep him in your prayers as I know he is still trying to find a further £2000 before starting. I am finding the Commonwealth games quite boring - but Eastenders is pretty good at the moment!! :) Enjoy your camping trip. Kathy posted some lovely camping pics on Facebook recently and I am now pondering whether it might be for me after all!!!

    ReplyDelete