Sunday 24 August 2014

THE HONEYMOON IS OVER


Although the title of this blog was only really meant to indicate that we are both (finally some may say) actually about to get down to doing what we came here for, in fact this last week has felt just like it was another honeymoon. Despite a number of frustrations, of which I suspect that there will be many more to come, we have really been living the adventure that we were both seeking.  The Landcruiser has proved to be a boon, and without it we could never have achieved all that we have done.  However, driving in Uganda generally, and in Kampala in particular, has been quite extraordinary.  


We both thought we were pretty good drivers having undergone quite a lot of training and had experience in the past of driving in various tricky places around the world, but this week has really put us to the test. Those of you who have been praying for the release of my unaccompanied baggage will be delighted to know that your prayers have been answered.  However, it took two separate trips down to Entebbe (the last of which involved a two and a half hour return journey negotiating our way around two separate road accidents) and a relatively large sum of money to achieve it.  However, more than this it also demonstrated a wonderful example of Ugandan friendliness and helpfulness.  Isma, the guy who worked in the freight office, went out of his way to help two pretty clueless muzungos find their way around the mysteries of the Ugandan customs system, and even came in on his day off on Saturday to finally handover the boxes to us.  I think this whole episode sums up our view of Uganda so far - the administration and efficiency is appalling, but it is more than made up by the friendliness and good nature of the people.  Contrast this with the efficient, but often 'jobs worth' attitude we so frequently find in the UK then I know which one I would choose.


One advantage of the trips to Entebbe, coupled with long periods of waiting around, was that we got to do some sightseeing.  


The best place we visited was probably the wildlife education centre where another brilliantly helpful guide, Joyce, showed us around what is really a wildlife park for injured or otherwise 'resettled' African wildlife.  As well as seeing the Ugandan national bird, the crested crane, Habakkuk the badger also managed to investigate a termite mound in more detail than he really was happy about.





Sadly, as I say, the honeymoon had to come to an end and our third trip to Entebbe this morning was to take Ronnie to the airport to catch her flight to Juba. We had lunch together in a magical little place just short of the airport where, apart from the ubiquitous cranes and storks, we were joined by a curious gecko who came to see what we were up to.  Seeing amazing wildlife like this up close and just 'there' is part of what we came here for, and so far Uganda hasn't disappointed and I feel sure that South Sudan will deliver in this respect too.



So now Ronnie is in her compound in Juba and will start her handover tomorrow, and I am on my own in Kampala and will begin a week's induction for new staff in school tomorrow.  I have already seen my new classroom, and it pretty much symbolises this whole teaching year coming up - a blank canvas waiting to be filled!


Prayers please for both of us for new relationships; settling down apart after such a special time together recently; wisdom and safety.

4 comments:

  1. Wow Ian - it looks amazing. I have to say, it's not what I had imagined. Your apartment looks lovely...and the pool?? Well, say no more!! I hope Ronnie has settled well. Will you bump into Moses whilst out there....he has gone a little quiet and I am worried he is having problems?! I am sure you will fill that blank classroom with badgers in no time! Poppy was particularly pleased to see 'Jenny' the badger (is it Jenny??) in the car and loved seeing your wildlife pictures. keep them coming!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great - but, perhaps inevitably not everything is quite as in the brochure! However, I guess that is part of the challenge. My biggest concern is that I may not have a projector and whiteboard for a week or so and as you know, that is like asking me to teach with my arms tied behind my back! I will email Moses this evening to see how things are with him - I hope to get to the Cathedral on Sunday so I may see him then.
      ... and Mrs Moseley, please, the Land Cruiser badger is Mark - Genny (short for Genesis) is quite a different badger altogether :-)

      Delete
  2. So pleased it is the adventure you had hoped for. The wildlife looks amazing, we have just been to see the same species of crane at Edinburgh Zoo!
    I am quite jealous of that empty space and display potential (how creative is your TA?). We are back to school tomorrow, we'll be thinking of you.
    Not least as we crank the electronic gadgets back into gear, good luck to you coping without them. I trust you'll let us know how you managed in your next update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fear not Kathy I will blog again this weekend. Next week we have two inset days with all of the staff there (this week has just been the newbies) and then the children are in on Wednesday. I haven't met Beatrice, my TA, yet. She is a new recruit as well but I have been promised that she is experienced in delivering phonics - I am praying that it's not another false promise! I am actually quite enjoying the challenges, however frustrating they might be, and so far all my new colleagues seem lovely (not in the same bracket as those at Smallwood of course, but lovely nonetheless). Do let me know how school goes (perhaps by email rather than open post!!!!)

      Delete